We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
After-School Program Activity Leader
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
After-School Program Activity Leader (Durham-Wide)
Provide leadership and supervision to children in the After-School Program. Implement lesson plans, ensure children participate in all activities, while ensuring the safety and well-being of all participants.
Program Assistant, Program Coordinator, and Director of Children and Youth Recreation Programs
Provide supervision and leadership to program participants.
Provide a safe, structured environment for the participants.
Ensure that the participants’ needs are met and that they are enjoying the program.
Ensure that the Members’ Rules of Conduct are carried out in the program
Act as a role model for the participants conducting oneself in a respectful, cordial, mature and responsible manner.
Adhere to the Principles for Healthy Child Development.
Take the time to research and to plan assigned program activities, making activities innovative, motivating and interesting to our Members.
Maintain acceptable appearance in uniform and personal hygiene at all times.
Work with and provide directions to the volunteers and students.
Attend staff meetings, trainings, and planning sessions as required.
Responsible for helping to clean the program areas and other maintenance duties as needed.
Act as a representative of BGC Durham and help promote the Club by example and being of service to parents, volunteers, and other clients as the need arises.
Maintain regular, positive and consistent feedback to parents when they are signing out their child/children.
Complete written documentation as required and submit to supervisor in a timely fashion.
Follow and practice all health and safety rules in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Public Health Act.
Ensure that supplies and equipment are adequate, safe and in good repair.
- Flexible hours are required, dictated by programming needs
- Monday to Friday, hours typically fall between 2pm and 6pm, must be available to begin by 2:30pm-3:00pm
- Required to work in a variety of settings including outdoors and in the pool
- Experience in programs for youth 5-18 years of age and knowledge of child development
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiar with the High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development
- Knowledge of fitness and nutrition
- First Aid and C.P.R. certifications
- Punctual, meticulous, and reliable
Please submit your resume to email@example.com by Wednesday, August 11th. Please only apply if you are available to begin work by 2:30pm-3:00pm and indicate which of the follow areas you will be able to work in: Ajax, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor
To instruct a quality swimming program and to keep clients safe in an aquatic environment following the Standards set out by Canadian Red Cross, Lifesaving Society, and BGC Durham. To prevent accidents, promote education and leadership amongst Aquatic and Club clients and provide first aid/rescue skills when necessary. Exhibit sound judgement and fairness, good leadership/organizational/ planning skills and be familiar with the aquatic policies and procedure manual.
Aquatics Director & Instructional/Guard Supervisor
- Express a caring attitude when working with children.
- Have a solid knowledge of all strokes and skills for all levels of the Red Cross Swim Preschool Program and Swim Kids Program.
- Prepare lesson plans for every aquatic class.
- Prepare mid-session and final aquatic progress reports according to policy.
- Keep up to date on Red Cross Water Safety standards.
- Prevent accidents through the enforcement of policies, rules, and regulations of the Club.
- Administer first aid skills to the best of one’s certification and ability.
- Be physically fit and alert to meet any emergency situation at any time.
- Maintain order in and about the facility’s environment.
- Assist with maintenance duties when required.
- Maintain acceptable appearance of both uniform and personal hygiene at all times.
- Act as a positive role model for the clients.
- Be knowledgeable and proficient with all swimming standards.
- Screen swimmers during the first lesson.
- Ensure that supplies and equipment are adequate, safe, in good repair, and that you clean up your own equipment and assist other staff if necessary.
- Maintain current qualifications.
- Attend all staff trainings and meetings.
- Perform all other duties deemed necessary by the Aquatic Director and/or Executive Director.
- Follow and practice all health and safety rules in accordance with the Ontario health and Safety Act and the Public Health Act.
- Report any accidents/incidents involving staff to Director and write out a report.
- Perform all other duties deemed necessary by the Aquatic Director and Executive Director.
- Working with swim participants – physical manipulation, safety, instructing
- Required to lift pool equipment – set up and clean-up of lessons
- Evening and weekend shifts
- Ability to work in a pool environment
- Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructors
- Lifesaving Society Instructors
- Standard First Aid/CPR-C
- Minimum 16 years of age
- Current criminal reference check
- High Five Certification
- Have an understanding of child development
- Have experience working with children