Our Mission: To provide a safe, supportive place where all children and youth can experience new opportunities, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
The Treasurer of the Board of Directors, as Chair of the Finance Committee, leads the oversight responsibilities for the maintenance of proper accounting records in compliance with the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act. Whenever required, the Treasurer shall render to the Board of Directors, an account of the financial position of BGC Durham. This is a Volunteer position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Financial and risk management
• Chair the Finance Committee (a subset of Board Directors, plus other community volunteers with solid financial acumen and BGC Durham knowledge). Prepare Committee minutes for Board distribution.
• Along with the Finance Committee and the Finance Staff at BGC Durham:
o Oversee financial and risk-management matters
o Ensure that effective and appropriate financial measures, controls and procedures are in place. Monitor specific controls and ensure systems are in place and adhered to.
o Ensure compliance with regulatory reporting and filing requirements.
o Ensure that payroll, government remittances, and other liabilities are settled in a timely manner.
o Ensure excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested.
o Verify that donations are handled appropriately and that grants and service delivery contracts are accounted for in accordance with the requirements of funders.
o Participate in the development of the annual budget, and present to the Board of Directors for approval.
o Liaise with external Auditors regarding the preparation of annual Audited Financial Statements. Oversee any actions to address auditor identified problems or deficiencies.
o Prepare recommendations to the Board regarding the need for a review or renewal of auditing services provided.
o Ensure that financial resources are spent and invested in line with BGC Durham’s Financial Policies and Procedures, good governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
o Oversee the maintenance of up-to-date Financial Policies and Procedures and their review by the Board.
• Liaise with staff responsible for the financial management of BGC Durham.
• Ensure day-to-day accounting procedures and financial practices are understood, and that there is clarity concerning roles, responsibilities, and communication practices.
• Ensure the Board of Directors is adequately informed of financial related issues to ensure good decision-making, and achievement of strategic objectives. Present monthly financial statements to the Board for approval.
• Serve as a co-signer of cheques with at least one other signing Officer, as needed.
Strategic Plan, Vision and Mission
• Participate with the Board of Directors in the continued development of the strategic plan to guide the organization in serving the Region of Durham.
• University Degree or College Diploma in a related field coupled with ongoing formal or informal career enhancing education.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Not-for-profit Board experience, preferably in the social service and/or recreational sector.
• Astute financial and business acumen, preferably with a professional accounting designation.
• Ability to understand the business implications of decisions, requiring an awareness of issues, processes and outcomes impacting the financial position of BGC Durham.
• An understanding of, and experience with, good financial management and reporting practices.
• Solid written, verbal and listening communication skills with the ability to present to small groups.
• Commitment to BGC Durham’s mission and strategic direction.
• An appreciation of the kind and level of financial information needed at a Board level to support decision making.
• An ability to commit to the time required to fulfill the responsibilities described.
• Ten hours per month (Board meetings, meetings with the Executive Director/Finance Director, committee meetings)
Please visit our website at www.bcgdurham.com for more information about the Club.
BGC Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of Kathleen Hutton at email@example.com